Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Moebius on 2 needles! (free pattern)

Here was my dilema: The longest needle I have is 40" and I needed to cram almost 300 stitches of a bulky-ish weight yarn on these needles. Um, not an easy task. I'm knitting along, not very happily when I think to myself, "Can't I just put this on 2 needles?" And sure enough, it works like a charm.



Basic Pattern for a Garter St Moebius Cowl:

1. Measure your gauge, knit a square using an appropriate sized needle at least 4" by 4" and using a ruler, count how many stitches you get in 4" and divide that number by 4. That is how many stitch you knit per 1". With my bulky yarn, I get 3.25 sts per inch.

2. Figure out how big you want your cowl to be using a tape measure. I want one that covers my shoulders easily and I'm pretty small so 40" will do well.

3. Multiple you cowl circumference (#2) by your gauge (#1). I get 3.25* 40= 130. This is the number you are going to cast on.

4. Using the Moebius Cast On Part 1 Part 2 cast on the number you get in #3 on just one needle. It might be crammed, but it just needs to this way for the cast on.

5. Place a marker to mark the beginning of the round. Take your second needle and knit 1/2 the stitches that you got in #3. Finish knitting the second half of the stitches with needle #1.

6. With needle #2, purl all the stitches from needle #2. With needle #1 knit all the stitches from needle #1.

7. Repeat 5 and 6 until the cowl is as wide as you would like it to be. Always knit using the end of the same needle that the stitches are on. Same needle to same needle. Be sure to leave about enough yarn to bind off (#2* 3 should be enough) and using the sewn bind off.




Yes, I do sense a video coming...

No comments: